If you are thinking about getting a divorce, there are some important steps you should take. These actions can protect your rights and your property and place you in a stronger position during and after the divorce process.
At the Law Office of Amy L. Gervich, we help people plan for divorce as well as represent them at all stages of the legal process. To protect yourself, your children and your future, get experienced, knowledgeable legal help today.
Preparing And Planning For Divorce
With over 15 years of legal experience, our compassionate divorce and family law attorney can review your case and recommend some simple steps you can take to improve your position. Every person’s situation is unique, however, and we will provide advice specific to your circumstances.
Some actions we might recommend in your case include:
- Get legal advice as soon as possible — This can strengthen your position more than any other thing you do.
- Collect financial documents and bank statements — This is especially important for spouses who have not been involved in financial decision-making in their marriages.
- Spend time with your children — Custody and visitation orders are often based on the status quo. Do not let your spouse spend more time with your children than he or she is spending now.
- Plan for your future living arrangements — It’s best to plan ahead for yourself, your children and your spouse — especially if you expect to have to leave your current residence.
- Put away some extra money — Hiding marital assets can hurt you, but laying aside money that is yours is wise.
- Plan the time and place of service — Avoid having papers served in front of your children.
There are other actions which may be advisable depending on your specific situation. A divorce lawyer at our firm can provide a full list of things you should or should not do, in advance of your divorce.
Free Consultation — Contact Us Today
Preparing for divorce takes time, energy and emotional strength. But it can lay the groundwork for a much better outcome than you would otherwise obtain. The Law Office of Amy L. Gervich will provide you with assertive, vigorous representation from the initial stage of your divorce to its conclusion.
For a free initial consultation with our divorce planning attorney, contact us online or call 866-942-1169 today. From our office in Clayton, Missouri, we help people plan for divorce throughout the city of St. Louis, and the counties of St. Louis, St. Charles and Jefferson.